Can the Veteran Administration (“The VA”) Help Me Pay for Care in My Home?

By Robert Nations, Senior Helpers North Bay

Can the VA Help Me Pay for Care in My Home?   The answer is YES.   

The VA offers many programs for veterans.  Here is an overview of two programs; Compensation and Pensions.

Disability Compensation — This is a monetary benefit paid to veterans who are disabled by an injury or disease that was incurred or aggravated during active military service.

in-homecareGenerally, people that qualify for this program are already receiving this benefit.  However, your physical or mental condition may have changed.  This change could result in new eligibility or an increase in benefits.    If you were injured during your service and you have not accessed this benefit, you should make an appointment with your local VA Office.

Disability Pension – This is a monetary benefit paid to veterans with low income who are permanently disabled, age 65 and older

What does it take to qualify for the pension program?

  • Discharge from the service  other than dishonorable conditions.
  • 90 Days or more of active service and at least one day of which was during a period of war.  Veterans who entered active duty on or after September 8, 1980 generally must have served at least 24 months or the full period for which called or ordered to active duty.
  •  Countable family income falls below a yearly limit set by law.
  • Cash Assests.   Generally the VA will allow up to $80,000.  Primary residence and car are exempt.

Can a veteran or their surviving spouse use the pension program to pay for home care? Yes, if the Veteran and/or spouse needs assistance with at least 2 activities of daily living (ADLs).

Page 1 of 212